August 29, 2013 |
Steven F. Hayward, Paul Kengor, Craig Shirley and Kiron K. Skinner are Ronald Reagan historians. One cold evening in Dixon, Ill., in the early 1930s, a young man known as Dutch Reagan brought home two African American teammates from his Eureka College football team. The team was on the road, and the local hotels had refused the two black players. So Reagan invited them to spend the night and have breakfast with his family. In November 1952, in one of his final meetings as president of Hollywood's Screen Actors Guild, Ronald Reagan called upon the entertainment industry to provide greater employment for black actors.
August 17, 2013 |
Kevin Good thought there was an 80 percent chance he could successfully deliver his brother's wedding rings with a tiny drone. "The other 20 percent is that it could go crashing into the bride's mother's face," the Bethesda cinematographer somewhat jokingly told his brother. His brother was okay with those odds, so he signed off. A few weeks ago, sitting in the back row at the ceremony near San Francisco, Good steered the drone to the altar, delivering the payload in front of 100 or so astonished guests.
March 7, 2012 |
If you've ever furnished a house or an apartment, it's highly likely you've asked yourself this question: Should I reupholster or buy something new? Unfortunately, there is no quick answer. What kind of shape the furniture is in, how much new fabric you'll need and how much the fabric will cost are a few things that should be considered before making the decision. There is also the cost of labor, which varies from shop to shop because there is no industry standard. A reputable upholsterer should be able to provide potential customers with specific answers to all questions, including a final price, after seeing a piece of furniture in person.
September 10, 2011 |
Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder dropped his lawsuit against the Washington City Paper on Saturday , ending a seven-month legal battle with the publication over an article that Snyder said had defamed him. Snyder had sought $1 million in general damages as well as unspecified punitive damages from the weekly paper; its parent company, Creative Loafing; and journalist Dave McKenna . McKenna's story in November, "The Cranky Redskins...
June 15, 2011 |
Question: I'm the original owner of a 17-year-old townhouse with a wood-burning fireplace that's seldom used because of the heat loss. The heating system and water heater run on natural gas, so I'm thinking of converting the fireplace to one that burns gas, as well. The fireplace is at the back of the townhouse, about eight feet from where the gas line enters the house. Is this type of conversion advisable? What are my options (i.e., vented or ventless)? And what is the approximate cost for making this type of conversion?
September 27, 2013 |
A panel of the world's leading climate scientists strongly asserted Friday that "it is extremely likely that human influence has been the dominant cause" of global warming since 1950 and warned of more rapid ice melt and rising seas if governments do not aggressively act to reduce the pace of greenhouse gas emissions. At a meeting in Stockholm, where the panel released its latest assessment of climate change, the scientists for the first time established a budget for the amount of carbon that can be released into the atmosphere.
May 19, 2012 |
My aunt once told me we were related to Francis Scott Key, the cat who penned "The Star-Spangled Banner," and who was born in what is now Carroll County. Okay, she also told me James Arness from "Gunsmoke" once pushed her on a swing and that I would grow up to be happy and successful. So I don't know what to believe anymore. But I am pretty certain about this: When Uncle Frankie was feverishly composing with ink and quill, during a War of 1812 firefight, he did not suddenly wonder with great amusement, "If only some slovenly man with Boog Powell barbecue-sauce stains on his schmedium white cotton tank top shouted, ‘ OH !
December 26, 2012 |
The past year brought continued financial woes for small businesses across a wide array of industries — but not all of them. In a select few sectors, business is booming and sales expectations are soaring heading into 2013. Small agricultural companies and heavy-duty manufacturers are primed for some of the most rapid growth in the coming months, according to a new report from Sageworks based on financial data from thousands of firms with annual revenue below $10 million.
July 23, 2012
Vertigo is an unsettling yet common condition, similar to seasickness but without the sea. With its illusory sense of spinning, vertigo can be frightening and lead to nausea, vomiting, headaches and other symptoms. But a solution is often more simple than you might think. Vertigo has been linked to anxiety, a drop in blood pressure, migraines, multiple sclerosis and Meniere's disease, a disorder of the ear that can also cause tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and hearing loss. It can also signal a more serious condition, such as a brain tumor or stroke, although that is less common.
September 29, 2013 |
Spoiler Alert: This review is about what happened Sunday night on the series finale of "Breaking Bad. " You've been warned. Vince Gilligan's "Breaking Bad," in so many ways the ideal TV show, gave until the very end, until its lead character, Walter White, a cancer-stricken chemistry teacher who turned himself into a drug kingpin of the gritty Southwest, died on the floor of (most fittingly) a meth lab. There was never a dull episode in the five seasons that "Breaking Bad" ran on AMC, including Sunday night's heart-poundingly satisfying finale.
November 24, 2011 |
You aren't imagining things — Christmas's beady eyes are watching us closer than ever. It sees you when you're paying 22.8 percent interest on your credit cards. It's breathing hotly down your neck. It's opening the doors to your Target earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving night . It's reporting your thoughts and deeds back to the people who number-crunch the dreaded Consumer Confidence Index. One false move and the entire economy collapses, which will be your fault. Yes, you. Another November encroachment , relatively ungriped-about, is how much sooner the junky holiday TV specials and cavity-causing Hallmark and Lifetime movies have started.
April 8, 2013 |
When Rep. Todd Akin made his outrageous comments about "legitimate rape" it was front page news — and rightly so. But when a representative of Planned Parenthood is caught on camera defending infanticide, it merits barely a mention in the mainstream media. Testifying against a Florida bill that would require abortionists to provide emergency medical care to an infant who survives an abortion, Planned Parenthood lobbyist Alisa LaPolt Snow was asked point blank: "If a baby is born on a table as a result of a botched abortion, what would Planned Parenthood want to have happen to that child that is struggling for life?"
April 5, 2013 |
Betsey Stevenson, an associate professor of public policy at the University of Michigan, served as chief economist of the Labor Department from 2010 to 2011. In February's State of the Union address , President Obama provoked conservatives' ire by proposing an increase in the minimum wage from $7.25 per hour to $9. Especially in a struggling economy, wouldn't a minimum-wage boost increase unemployment and hurt small businesses? And would it even help the working poor? Let's unpack some of the assumptions about the minimum wage that have stuck around since its creation almost eight decades ago. 1 . The minimum wage covers everyone.
April 30, 2012 |
Not so long ago, Reginald "Polo" Burwell would bound to the stage nightly as the leader of TCB, the band that pioneered go-go's bounce beat groove. He had created a sound that strayed from the conga-based percussive that had been a staple of the music that got its start in the District. And it was divisive. The band's percussionist played with rototoms or drums with no shell. The higher-pitched percussive attack was a stark contrast to the traditional deep-toned polyrhythmic thump older listeners knew.