ISLAMABAD, Pakistan —Pakistan on Monday sternly rejected a U.S. account of a deadly NATO airstrike in November, an incident that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers at a post near the Afghan border and severely strained ties between the long-wary allies.
In a terse formal report, the Pakistani military maintained its previously stated position that coalition forces conducting a ground raid in Afghanistan carried sole blame for a clash that it said was “deliberate at some level.”
The Pakistani report came one month after a Pentagon investigation attributed the exchange to miscommunications rooted in mutual mistrust but said NATO forces acted in justifiable self-defense.
The incident plunged a hobbling U.S.-Pakistan relationship to new depths and underscored the gulf in communication between NATO troops and the Pakistani military. In response, Pakistan closed its border crossings to NATO supply convoys, evicted the United States from a base used to support CIA drone strikes and suspended high-level meetings with U.S. officials.