Wilson has been disqualified from Thursday’s Turkey Bowl after an investigation revealed the program had used an ineligible player earlier this season, D.C. Public Schools announced Sunday.
“Within the last 48 hours, it was determined that this player is in fact a non-resident and therefore ineligible to play football for Wilson,” DCPS said in a statement. “While DCPS regrets any confusion or frustration this may cause, it is important to ensure the integrity and fairness of the game.”
In the statement, DCPS confirmed that “after reviewing tapes of games, Wilson High School administration and coaches determined this [ineligible] player played in two league games,” and therefore was not eligible for postseason play due to forfeiture of those games. DCPS athletic director Stephanie Evans said Sunday that Wilson will forfeit between “six and eight” games that the player participated in this season, and that its 8-3 record will be adjusted accordingly this week after it is officially determined how many games the player participated in. Wilson was set to make its first Turkey Bowl appearance since 1991. Evans declined further comment, as did Wilson Coach Mark Martin.